At JewishCare, We provide the Best Aged Care Help in Australia.
Our Mental Health and Wellbeing Program adopts a person-centred approach which acknowledges that the person in the program is the expert on what type of support will make a difference to their life and assist in their journey toward recovery.
The Mental Health and Wellbeing team is comprised of caring, qualified and experienced multidisciplinary staff who work with the individual and carers to determine the most appropriate and holisitic support that can be provided.
The program offers a wide range of support for people experiencing a range of mental health issues.
- Counselling, advocacy, referral, psycho-education, short and long term case work and case management for the participant or family to assist with achieving goals, decision making, life skills and planning.
- Offering a variety of psycho-social programs which play a vital role in encouraging and maintaining social inclusion.
Some of these groups include:
- Relax & Renew Exercise Class – weekly
- Social Excursions – weekly
- Art Group – weekly
- Friday night Shabbat Dinner held at JewishCare premises – fortnightly
- Celebrating Jewish High Holidays such as Pesach, Rosh Hashanah and Hannukah
- Family and Friends Group – monthly. If you wish to attend, please contact us on 1300 133 660 or the Mental Health Program Manager on 9302 8014.
JewishCare is a proud provider of the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS). The NDIS supports people with a permanent and significant psycho-social disability (mental health) that affects their ability to take part in everyday activities.
What is Psychosocial Disability?
Psychosocial disability is a term used to describe the experience of people with impairments and participation restrictions related to mental health conditions. Psychosocial disability relates to the ‘social consequences of disability’ – the effects on someone’s ability to participate fully in life as result of mental ill-health. It’s also important to remember that there is a strong focus on a recovery orientation in mental health, as different levels of mental ill-health are variable and not permanent. (Sourced from mhaustralia.org)
- Our Mental Health & Wellbeing program works alongside a wide range of leading leading organisations such as the Black Dog Institute, NSW Health Services, Mental Health Co-Ordinating Council, headspace, Flourish, STRIDE, WayAhead (Mental Health Association) and Anglicare to ensure best practice, holistic and highest level support is provided.
- Referrals are made to other appropriate services or professionals as required.
- Anyone can make a referral to our Mental Health & Wellbeing Program and confidentiality is assured.
Please call JewishCare on 1300 133 660 or submit this Referral Form
The Mental Health Foundation has been established specifically to support our Mental Health Program. Funds from our Foundation are be directed to the Mental Health Program and our clients. If you’d like to know more and get involved please contact Maureen Mendelowitz on 9302 8003.
Head to Health
Head to Health can assist with access to digital mental health services from some of Australia’s most trusted mental health organisations. An initiative of the Australian Department of Health, Head to Health centralises apps, online programs, online forums and phone services as well as providing a wide range of resources.
Way Ahead (Mental Health Association)
This website provides a website containing publications on a wide range of mental health topics and links to other services, such as support groups. It also provides information over the telephone and via email through its Information Service – (02) 9339 6000
Beyond Blue is the national initiative to raise awareness of anxiety and depression, providing resources for recovery, management and resilience. Call 1300 22 4636 for advice & support.
Black Dog Institute
The Black Dog Institute is a facility for diagnosis, treatment and prevention of mood disorders such as depression and bipolar disorder.
Sane Australia conducts programs and campaigns to improve the lives of people with mental illness, their family and friends. Sane Australia also provides a helpline that can be accessed by telephone or online: Phone: 1800 187 263
MoodGYM is a popular free interactive program incorporating cognitive-behaviour therapy for depression. MoodGYM has been extensively researched and its effectiveness has been demonstrated in randomised controlled trials.
Mental Health Online
Mental Health Online provides Information about anxiety disorders, free automated psychological assessment and self-help treatment programs, plus low-cost therapist-assisted programs over 12 weeks.
South Eastern Sydney Recovery College
SESRC is a pioneering educational initiative in Australia, focused on learning and growth for better mental health. It offers comprehensive education and training programs developed and delivered by people with lived experience of mental health concerns and health professionals.